Thursday, March 11, 2010

Replicas

So earlier today there were some strong aftershocks.  I was in the teacher's lounge since I had a free period, and we all felt the shaking.  After a few seconds we got up and made our way outside.  The students made their way outside with our help, and we were out in the very middle of the campus for about 10 minutes or so.

The students were told to stay outside, but the teachers were given the OK to go back inside and get anything they needed.  As some teachers ventured back in, everything started shaking again.  We were then outside for about another half hour or so.  There were some kids that were upset, and parents started coming by to pick up their kids from school.

Once the students were safely inside and their classes resumed, Erin (the other teacher in the program at my school) and I headed off to the Civil Registry to pick up our international IDs.  Teachers told us that they would still be open despite the aftershocks, so we headed out.  We got there around 1:30, as they are scheduled to close at 2.  They were closed, so we will have to come back another day.

I decided to grab some hot chocolate and churros at the same place I went with friends after we were at the Registro Civil about 2 weeks ago, and altough it was expensive it was good as always.  And they have free wifi, which was a plus so that I could update this and let everyone know I was ok.

I haven't been home yet, but I am assuming that my place is not damaged.  Our electricity or internet may not be working there, but that is something I can live without for a while.

I just hope that Chile calms down soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment